Wednesday, September 1, 2010

XXX-Ray

Went to the basement of Poisson Rouge last night for a happy hour promoting the Camden International Film Festival. Afterwards ended up at dinner at Da Silvano, and sat next to a guy who'd just settled a lawsuit: admittedly wasted, he'd tumbled down a flight of stairs in his apartment building, passed out from the concussion, then passed out again from pain when he woke up, tried to walk, and discovered he'd broken his hip. Turned out two other people had also taken spills that night, because whoever'd cleaned the stairs earlier had left behind a slippery coating, and the coating didn't care if you were drunk or sober.

So: the guy, Neal, broke out his Blackberry to show me the picture of his shattered bone. Then he casually said "Sorry about showing you my dick." I said "er..., no problem" and didn't really think anything of it as I stared in horror at the ghostly image of three nails surgically driven into the ball of his hip. I told him that was some of the worst shit I'd ever seen, etc, and he again apologized about showing me his dick.

"Like, you're metaphorically showing me your dick, in that you're showing me your body at its most helpless, held together by nails and shit?"

"No, no, look, there's my dick. I didn't think a dick would show up in an x-ray, but there it is."

And so it was, in all its Total Recall Airport Scene glory. Except you couldn't see a dick in Total Recall.

So of course I got him to email me the x-ray. Don't pretend you wouldn't have done the same:


The takeaway: if you were wondering about those proposed new airport screeners, the answer is "Yes".

No comments:

Post a Comment