Monday, August 2, 2010

The Kids are All Going to Die!

Saw The Kids are All Right last night. It really was a poignant and sharply observed story of modern family life. Or one kind of modern family, anyway, since I'm a straight man, and was at the Loews VII by myself.

Leaving the theater I ran into an acquaintance-turning-into-friend (acquiend? that sucks), and her friend, and we had post-movie drinks at Black and White. Turns out my acquiend was brought up in an apocalyptic Christian cult called The Lord's Body, or some variation on that theme. She quit believing when she realized, hey, why am I learning all this survivalist crap if I'm going to be snatched into Heaven immediately upon the Lord's Rapture?


(sign of the apocalypse?)

I told her I quit caring about the Apocalypse when this chunky, bearded, flattopped ex-skateboarder back in Dallas, Otto, sulkily avoided paying me the $100 he owed me for my old Dell laptop. Otto always talked about how all the shit he knew would keep him standing tall well after The End came -- but until It did, he couldn't even figure out a way to muster up a hundred bucks for a computer he claimed he could take apart and put back together? Prove your worth now, for The Lord's Body's sake. Or just blow somebody for the cash, I don't care.

My acquiend's friend said that when The End came, she planned to hang on a boat a few months, until all the really nasty people killed each other. Pretty optimistic, thinking that after God calls it quits, any amount of time could make The Kids All Right again.

No comments:

Post a Comment